Friday, May 7, 2010

For those who were wondering...

So what’s new at the moment?


Well, as of last Friday, I’ve been living with my partner’s (almost) 95 year old nanna.

This is both a good and a bad experience. The bad part is that, obviously, we’re completely at the mercy of somebody else because it is, after all, her house and we’re just guests. The good part is that I get to relax a little more, I’ve learnt how to knit and I spend a lot of my day drinking little cups of tea and eating biscuits. I’ve become skilled in the way of the nanna… god help us.

I’ve decided that I’m going to make myself a divine grey scarf for winter (what else am I going to do when I’m cooped up until we move out??) and experiment some more with my bizarre cooking adventures.

Having never grown up with grandparents of my own, it’s strange spending so much time talking to an old lady now… especially someone who is nearing 100. She talks about her late husband a lot, and the war, the great depression and what this suburb was like 90 years ago… the doctors used to come around on horseback(!) and the areas now cluttered with houses, apartments and shops were almost entirely farmland and paddocks. Crazy stuff!



She’s very frank and has an opinion on most things. Being older, she’s not exactly going out into the world to experience everything anymore, but instead immerses herself into the world of current affairs shows, the news and the bold and the beautiful... but because people did such outlandish things even when she was young, she talks about some of the most sensitive subjects imaginable without blinking… just yesterday she was talking about women who were getting abortions when she was my age and how many people were getting them… it’s a little scary to think that it’s such a taboo subject now when it was commonplace 70 or 80 years ago.

Generally, I don’t like old people that much. I find myself being judged for being a woman, for doing things my own way and for the job I choose to do. I don’t like strangers telling me that I’m living my life wrong and therefore I am going to go to hell or am just a horrible person… especially when I find that I’m generally pretty upbeat and cheerful and not at all one of those ‘scary Satanist teenagers’ that they think I am. If I want to dye my hair, dress like a freak or have pre marital sex, I believe that it’s my business. I don’t drink or take drugs so, frankly, I’m not doing anything that bad, am I? Still, I love tough as nails old ladies who love a good laugh at the expense of their peers and aren’t afraid to do what they want… the thing I hear the most in this house is “I’m 95 years old soon, I think I’m old enough to do what I want.” Damn straight.

Anyway, this is probably my first personal post in a while but just in case there was anyone out there reading, that’s why I’ve been offline for the last 7 days… I’ve been busy moving stuff and learning the ways of the old people.


Much love,

Xx bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment