Saturday, May 22, 2010

curious tuesday/life update

Ok, so while it is no longer tuesday (it is, in fact, sunday) I have limited access to the internet... so I'll be answering this now:

1. Who is your #1 crush?

my number 1 crush would have to be my partner/boyfriend Kynan. 3 years on and I still find him ridiculously sexy and still get more excited than a toddler on christmas morning when he comes home.

2. Have you ever tried online dating? How did it go? Any tips?

Though I've never tried online dating per se, when I met my partner/boyfriend (I hate the word partner!) we lived a distance away from eachother for the first six months or so of our relationship. We communicated mainly over the internet and over the phone... god, were those bills expensive. So though we weren't an 'internet' couple, we did correspond that way for a while. I'd still recommend knowing eachother face to face before you attempt a relationship, though.

3. Are you sentimental? Do you keep the things other people give you?

I'm a real hoarder, if someone gave it to me, it stays in my house... no matter how small or useless said item is. This only becomes problematic when I have to move house and there's too many things to take with me.

4. As a child, what were your primary interests?

I was big on drawing, painting, singing, playing outside in the garden (thinking I was some kind of magical creature or a time traveller)... but I was also a big fan of barbie.

5. What are your top 3 guilty pleasures?

- Sleeping in. Ok, so it's only til 9am, but that's a lot when you follow my schedule.
- Consuming as much cake as my budget/appetite allows.
- Charlaine Harris novels. I'm totally addicted to the Sookie Stackhouse novels and I'm hanging until a soft cover version of the latest book hits our shelves in Australia.


So what's happening in my life these days? I'm having trouble living with the world's biggest carnivore (no kidding, a meal for this lady is a huge hunk of steak... not even a side of potatoes or carrots or anything!) and there is literally NOTHING vegetarian in the house most days unless I want bread and butter. I'm very hungry half the time and very poor the rest of the time from having to buy so much freaking takeaway. The days that I cook, she wolfs down the food in about ten seconds, but she herself refuses to cook because she can't be bothered doing the dishes. I won't clean a pan that's had meat in it (and why should I??) so it's lucky that's the only thing she will clean, but she insists we eat off paper plates and when we do buy fresh food for me to eat, she eats it first and I still go hungry just as fast. ARGH.

I've been looking up good recipes that are vegetarian but also old-fashioned (so it caters to a certain person's demands), cheap and don't immediately seem like "vegetarian" food. So that means no chickpeas, tofu or tempeh obviously. In fact, nothing from Japan, China, India, Morocco or anything else that tastes 'exotic' to someone used to meat and three veg. So far, the only things I can get away with are pasta (with a basic Napoli sauce, that is) and vegetable soup.

But it's not all bad news. I've been exploring around this area and around Fitzroy again for the first time in quite a while. When Kynan and I started dating, Brunswick St (and Smith St, to a lesser extent) was the first place he bothered to show me. We went on a little excursion to Brunswick St yesterday, had some lunch and went for a bit of a shop. I saw the leather jacket of my dreams in a vintage shop, but it was overpriced to the hilt!! I'll have to go back to Newtown (Sydney) if I want another one, at this rate. Had lunch at a cafe called Juanita's (Spudbar was closed), looked at guitars, sampled at T2 and just relaxed. Awesome. Then down to Lygon Street, through the city and eventually back to Northcote for food at what is quite possibly the best fish and chip shop in Melbourne before heading home.

The thing about this side of Melbourne is that there are just so many awesome places to eat and shop... unfortunately, many scenesters and hipsters agree and it all becomes very exclusive when all you want is a decent cup of coffee, some lunch and maybe a pair of jeans that fit. I'd love to move down this way for at least a while (though not quite as far away from civilization as we are in this [nameless] suburb).

Let's just hope I manage to consume some actual food this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment